View Single Post
Old 10-14-20, 10:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Another windy day... 53 miles.

The constant 10+mph wind is getting old.
Cedar Creek was rough, headed out with my daughter but the wind was keeping everyone slow. Most roadies passed us but we got to do a little passing of our own one of which was hilarious. My daughter decided to take her pink bike rather then her road bike, yup, she has a fleet. The pink bike is a mid 80s Giant lugged road bike with cheap steel wheels that we bought NOS a few years ago for a friend and their kid outgrew since. This summer we put flat bars and thumb shifters on it with a doll sized kid's seat.
So my daughter is happily riding this pink thing when we start approaching these guys in their 30s that looked in ok shape, as we got close one looked back to see if anyone was approaching and then did a funny wide eyed double take as this 10yo girl in a pink shirt and blue overalls with rainbow sneakers on a bright pink bike with doll carrier is overtaking them. They did actually try to speed up but it didn't help and just meant we took an extra 1/8 mile to pass as the other shook his head and both stared at her as she passed them. I figured cheap bikes but a Gary Fisher MTB and a shop brand hybrid, guess they were just slower then they thought. Based on times we only averaged a touch over 10mph into the wind, the return trip was closer to 16mph.