Old 09-05-21, 09:03 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The last time I was stranded was 2 years ago on a 95* day when in my utter idiocy decided to ride my MTB with two water bottles on a 36 mile out and back, mid-day. At the half-way point I refilled both bottles, drank another full bottle and took a dip in a river and made it 9 miles back when I started to feel really bad. Stopped at a coffee shop and had a big drink and called my wife. I now skip hot days and use my trainer.
Last weekend I did a 43 mile ride with temps in the 90's. I had two water bottles and a hydration pack on my back. The plan was to ride up to this town that has a small bar & grill, have lunch, and then ride back home. The ride up there was fine, though I realized I forgot to bring electrolyte packs or Gatorade powder. Got to the bar, and it wasn't open for some reason, even though they were open on a Saturday when a few of us stopped there earlier in the year. So I rode to the park a few blocks down and took a rest stop at a picnic table, realizing that I didn't have any Clif bars or anything to eat, either. Guy mowing the grass at the park stopped his weed eater and said, "Hot day for a ride, isn't it?" The breeze coming from the south felt pretty good while I was sitting there, but on the ride back home it was a constant headwind. Luckily I was able to get some ice water at the library/community center of a small town on the route back home. Several times I kept thinking, "this is really stupid of me to be out here in this heat." Had I not been able to make it back home on the bike, I'd have really been stranded since my wife was at work and my kids are too young to drive. Thankfully through dogged determination and numerous rest breaks, I made it back home.
Likes For Milton Keynes: