View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 04:53 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
So 11/52 is what I have on my trike with e-assist. My current solution is to reduce the assist power via the display settings to the motor. This does make me slower but at least I am not spinning out in level 1 anymore. The real solution is to either install a bigger chain ring or a planetary system (I'm looking at Efneo's GTRO, which gives a top 68t for their e-assist model, which uses a single 38t chainring and then planetary gearing to make it work like a 68t) or a different cassette. While we both paid for multi-speed gearing (you have 30 gears and I have 24) the truth is that if you use e-assist pretty much all the time, all you really need is a 7 or 8 speed if you have the correct chain ring. S0 - that is to say you "could" just jettison the triple, simplify things, and put on a single bigger chain ring. Re-do your chain length, and enjoy. You'd find yourself using 3 or 4 maybe of the
available gears + eassist support. In fact, lots of trike manufacturers sell their e assist models with 8 speeds but they put on too small a chain ring imo so you get no resistance at the highest gear and spin out. If you want to keep the triple because you might include manual riding in
your activities, then it's either a chain ring swap or planetary upgrade. Or you could look into a new cassette, 3t makes a 9-28, which would give you a top gear inch of 112 with your 52t chain ring!!! It's 11 speed so you might have some minor compatibility issues, I don't know about that, though. Cassette - 3T Bike. Oh, and yes lower gear inches means less resistance but you go slower; higher gear inches is more resistance and faster.

Ok, one more thing. You mostly ride in 21t rear cog? You can go all the way down to 11 so you've got a few gears to work thru before you need a change. When 52/11 no longer gives you sufficient resistance and you spin out because you
can't pedal fast enough, then it's time to do something.

Last edited by linberl; 08-05-22 at 04:59 PM.