Old 08-06-22, 01:41 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
Guys, your most recent posts have gotten to the crux of the matter, If I want a workout, I'll have to drop down my e-assist to Level 1 or zero, (plus drop to a lower gear) at least for part of my ride. It'll probably result in a shorter ride (both distance- and time-wise) at first, due to fatigue. But that's OK. I see now that I've been using the e-assist as a "crutch". While it's fun, the settings I used were not doing me any favors when it comes to getting some exercise. So, I'll mix it up and only use Level 2 for my "joyrides" and/or to get me home when worn out.

I'm glad I posted this thread and grateful to you guys for responding so often, Its been a real education!

Thanks!
Bert
That's how I use it. I ride unassisted when I can and every ride I try to stretch that unassisted time to build up. I can definitely see and feel the increased strength in my legs. Where I might normally ride an unassisted bike ~10 miles a day I typically do at least 20 miles with my assisted trike, started off mostly assist and now it's about 60%. One way that you can keep track of how you are doing in terms of building up is to calculate your rate each ride - take the volts used (so note where you are when you start) and figure out how many miles you get per volt. It's not perfect but it will be accurate relative to each ride. The more you ride unassisted the longer your range is. Have fun!