Old 08-15-20, 07:36 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I vote leave them as mostly is. Clean and polish only. Give the bikes a tune up. I'm not a flipper however, just a bike enthusiast. But to me a tastelessly modified original Paramount has less value than one that's been left alone.

Leave new wheels or re-rimming for the buyer. If some potential buy wants clinchers IMO they are better off building a new set of wheels and stashing the originals. If you want to make it rideable, glue on some new tires. The existing 50 year old glue is going to be all dry and nasty and a hassle to get off, but in this case you will need to clean it off. IF you choose to do this expect some tedious work.

There's not really any harm in cleaning and repacking the bearings in new grease. Grease from 1972 usually has the consistency of parmesan cheese by now. I suggest you not replace the balls if the bikes were not ridden much. IME generic grade 25 bearings are never as smooth as the official campy bearings. If you don't have experience doing this and adjusting open bearings, you probably shouldn't start with these.

I guess you have to replace the cables and housing since you cut them. Leave the shift cables if they are original and not cut. Won't hurt to lube them. The brakes are almost certainly Weinmann, but they are the same design as DiaCompe, since the had a licensing agreement. It isn't going to hurt the value to get replacement black brake pads from Koolstop for the brakes. That way they will work. Make sure you get the right size pads. There are several variations.

Oh, and the only genuine gum rubber brake hoods you can buy these days are the Rustines. They do make them for Weinmann.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-15-20 at 07:40 PM.