Old 03-12-21, 07:34 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Biking for Hip Pain (that is probably a back problem)

I have recently encountered some unpredictable muscle pain (not deep in the groin) in my left hip. It is inconvenient but more seriously is keeping me off the golf course. And the intensity of the discomfort varies widely hour to hour.

What is fascinating here is that a bike ride is almost instantly soothing to this problem. So far any time I got out for a 'real ride' (more than an hour) I can count on the back feeling fine when I dismount. I have an upcoming appointment with my orthopedic doc with whom I have a long term relationship regarding my 'old as I am (71) knees'. I am convinced that the issue is my back and that the forced straight back posture on a road bike is the reason that biking provides relief. The other day it got particularly bad, so I just got on my spinner bike (set up to match my road bikes) for 10 easy minutes. It helped.

Biking as back therapy - who knew. And maybe I can get back to golf if I buy a pull cart and attach it to a bike and use that on the course (I normally walk and carry my bag). Or I once saw a guy riding a bike to the course with a full (smallish) golf bag across his shoulders.

dave