Old 04-12-21, 09:42 AM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If I read this correctly, the RD will not return to the 1st/2nd cog position with the cable detached and the wheel installed; but you can physically move it there. With the wheel removed and the cable detached it will move completely to the limit screw.

I would probably make sure the derailleur, especially the return spring is thoroughly cleaned and there is no buildup. Just lubing the pivots may not be enough. Adjusting the B screw might give a bit more clearance for the chain and jockey wheel and help with the shift.

John
thank 70sSanO for the suggestions. There's definitely no buildup on the derailleur as I keep all the parts clean after riding in inclement weather. I even blasted it with compressed air yesterday to ensure there's no grit causing it to bind. But I didn't confirm it moves all the way to the limit screw with the wheel removed AND cable detached. That will be my next check tonight.

I also have a brand new rear hanger in my parts collection so can install that as a last resort. I could have bent the hanger when reinstalling the wheel after fixing the flat. It was a roadside repair so I didn't have access to a work stand.