View Single Post
Old 10-04-22, 12:51 PM
garagedog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Not a lot I don't think, unless your pressures are extra low. Note that things can "feel" slower with wider tires since it is a lot easier to handle, less jerky. I use 30s on my Roubaix myself, the Paris-Roubaix winner this year had 30s so they can't all that shabby. 80% of the race is pavement.
If you flip the stem you will get another 20mm or so. I have the stem flipped on my Roubaix and things feel a lot better for me that way.
Here is a pic. Lovely bike!
I have the original stem and it came with a 90mm angled up already. I wish I had another 20mm to go higher. I'm ok right now (at the end of the riding season) but come spring, I'll want a little more height. Then over the summer I usually flip the stem over as I get more flexible throughout the season. I know, I know, I need to stretch more!
I rode a few days ago on a nasty road that use to chatter my teeth and jar my arms. On this new Roubaix, it was so much better. I had 38psi plus the future shock made this ride something to look forward to again.

2020 Roubaix, Ultegra di2, Roval 38c, 32mm Pirelli tires

I'm guessing that if I would have gone with a 56, I wouldn't have the lack of stack issue and I wouldn't have to slide my seat as far back. But I'd need a shorter stem for sure.
Likes For garagedog: