Old 10-15-22, 06:02 PM
francoisnewtown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electric touring bike ?!

Hello to all,

I am a Quebecer (Canada) who has been traveling by bike while camping for 40 years. I made my 35th trip this fall in Gaspésie. I only travel in the fall or spring, just before or after the snow here. I am completely self-sufficient on my bike (4-season tent, winter sleeping bag, pots, burner, etc.).

When I was younger, I was a "bicycle tourer", camping was secondary. Now, at 53 years old, I do camping, by bike. Important difference! I like to camp in comfort. Also, on my non-pedaling days, I like to hike and explore. For that, I often have to camp several nights in the same place to have time to rest and then discover the places.

All this to say that, with time and age, I don't have any more pleasure to force myself in the hills of the mountainous roads. I carry about 100 pounds of gear and I don't want to reduce that weight. I'm looking to buy a bike that will have a motor to help me on the hills. Just thinking about it and I'm looking forward to start traveling again to mountainous areas where I don't go anymore!

But traveling by electric bike is a big change in logistics, just in terms of having to recharge the batteries every day.

As far as I'm concerned, since the bike I want to buy is worth 15 000$, with the accessories (Reise & Mûller, Multicharger : https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/multicharger/), I decided to start by adding a motor to my custom Surly Disctrucker, less heavy on the wallet !

I put a picture of my bike and one of the potential competitor to replace it one day.

Do you travel or are you about to travel with an electric bike? If so, what bikes do you have in mind?

François Villeneuve
Rimouski, Québec, Canada
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
My Surly.pdf (1.28 MB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf
R&M Multicharger.pdf (66.1 KB, 10 views)