View Single Post
Old 10-31-22, 12:11 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I think it is pretty simple. If You decide to tour with an e-bike then you just need to adjust your planning. Who knows maybe you already plan the way for ebikes but in my case...I like to fly by the seat of my pants so ... in my case ... if I wanted to tour with an e-bike I would

1 simply reserve my accommodations before the trip,
2 I would not push distance to compensate for bad weather
3 I would plan vacations in countries that already serve people on ebikes (Denmark etc...)
4 and I would probably carry an extra battery

Years ago - it must be 8 years right now, when ebikes were starting their perfection we purchased 2 great specimens, Specialized Turbo and Stromer ST1 and we used them extensively and I also used them to commute to work 30 miles round trip every day. I had extra battery at work fully charged, ready for lunch break or any need to jet out and back while the battery I arrived on was on a charger. All in all what made it more practical for me was owning 2 batteries and 2 chargers. The novelty slowly wore off and after a while it became somewhat annoying to be thinking about charging so after about 3 years of ownership we sold both e-bikes and moved on while just about everybody did the opposite and started using ebikes.

I went to Acadia National Park 2 weeks ago to redline their carriage trails and that day I was outnumbered by ebikes 10 to 1. No problems for me. I like it all. Every person on a bike is one less person in a car.

-------------------

To be devils advocate... alternatively if I did not want to use an e-bike but was in a physical situation of thinking I needed one I would simply cut my expected mileage by 2/3rds and keep using regular bike and just not fret that I tour 20 miles per day versus 60.