View Single Post
Old 11-09-22, 06:57 PM
2ndtimeAround

Bikes: Hardtail MTB , Citi-Bike , Electra coaster, Schwinn coaster brake and 2 road bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
I'd love to ride more . My dog that I brought into my life is very high-needs. Not sure what she'd been through but had spent much her life in the animal control kennel.
She goes ballistic when I leave her alone.

For spouse and I to ride together is not possible. Unless we bring the dog along. She's too slow, likes to lope along about 8-9 MPH .

Have to keep rides fairly short- have health issues (digestive in nature). Got to time even short ride very perfectly.
And the extreme cold , makes very difficult to train.

I'm a hero come warmer weather , but this cold and rain has got me rolled up in a ball in the corner.

Some legit reasons not to ride , some just poor excuses . I'm also training as a runner and find getting recovery time a problem and deciding when to ride and when to run.
At times I try to do both and find myself devastated after running AM followed by late afternoon ride.

Have 3 bikes . Road, hybrid and XC trail. At this rate the bikes will all outlast me. I might say a stronger runners high from the running than cycling. Chasing that means less time to ride my bikes.

Edit* today I rode a hard but short ride on hybrid. Put out about 80% effort and later looked at my garmin - only hit 125BPM . Almost without exception every run I go on will at least hit 135BPM 140BPM with moderate effort.

Just one of the reasons I favor running over riding. Seems easier to get in hard workout in less time running instead of riding.
What might I be doing wrong? I'd cycled and ran for decades in my youth .

What else keeps me from riding more. Until this evening it was the cold . Found my old wool full- face baclava ( a little overkill for mid 40's) and neoprene booties came today . Cold feet no more , what a game changer.

Last edited by 2ndtimeAround; 11-10-22 at 07:27 PM.