View Single Post
Old 07-15-21, 10:15 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 885 Posts
I took the Surly out Thursday afternoon to follow up on an idea that I had about the Tri-Community Greenway. It seemed to me that its tunnel under I-93 could be paired with the Marble Street/Forest Street overpass without ramps a bit further South to create a nice loop, including a run down Highland Avenue, Winchester. I had a little time, the weather was cooperating, so I gave it a try.

I headed up the Mystic Valley Parkway, and checked out the usual scenes at the Mystic Lakes. There was nothing much doing, slow day.

I picked up the Greenway at Ginn Field, Winchester, after discovering that the trailhead at Wedgemere Station is closed due to construction. After a few turns on this path, following it through its on-road/off-road convolutions has become intuitive, and I made good time, but could still notice a swallow perched on a wire..

Weirs large and small on the Aberjona River.

This still smells like Jell-O, or at least I think it does.

Crossing under I-93. I worried that the tunnel might be flooded, but it apparently drains well. I performed the usual art appreciation as I rode through.

I followed the Greenway to Main Street, Stoneham, and headed South. Conditions were a trifle urban, playing in traffic. And I was almost knocked over by a drunk driver at more or less this intersection, years ago, while returning from a long ride on the North Shore on a Saturday night. But things were OK this afternoon, everyone seemed sober.

I turned right on Marble Street, which is leafy and pleasant, and soon enough was on the overpass across I-93.

Across the highway and across the town line, Marble Street became Forest Street, and gave me a whizzy descent in leafy shade, that brought me in due time to Highland Avenue. Highland is a favorite road: North-South, with an initial climb and a final descent whichever way you take it, and rollers in between.

After Highland spat me out on Main Street, Winchester, I rolled on down the hill to Playstead Road, Medford, and rolled down that to West Medford village, crossed the tracks, picked up Harvard Street, and was home in a trice. I like this loop: 15 miles and a lot of variety. I'll edit a map link into this post sometime when it isn't midnight.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 07-16-21 at 11:20 AM.