Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 09-11-05, 01:52 PM
guydickinson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and I wonder if xootr would honour the frames if Peter at Swift decides to retire etc? I'm not sure, but I think Xootr handles frame manufacturing through Taiwanese partners.

But this alu vs. steel debate seems to be a well worn one - see this bikeforums thread quote:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-24598-p-1

...AL has downsides, too. Its tensile (breaking) strength, yield (bending) strength and elongation (the % of its length it can stretched before it’s unable to return to its original shape) are far less than those of high strength steel and TI alloys. AL is more vulnerable in a crash. AL has no fatigue limit, a property that steel possesses, often expressed as a % of its tensile strength. Below this limit, the material can be cycled indefinitely without breaking. This means that AL can be less predictable than steel as to when it will fail after long use.

Back to our beer can: compare a can of beer to a can of olives and it’s apparent that the AL container has much less stiffness than a steel can of similar thickness and diameter. Yet many AL bikes feel stiff. Why? It’s because AL’s density is so low; tubes can be made large and thick for stiffness and light weight...
That'll explain the elongated top bar and 'fat' frame elements and chunky dropouts etc.

Plus, Peter really impressed me when I met him - an understated guy, but with an air of quiet, reliable expertise and obviously a solid experience of frame manufacturing. He was very positive about the alu frames and i have every confidence in his choice of manufacturing partner. Those xootr guys seem to know their onions too :-)