View Single Post
Old 08-18-21, 08:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ormchaser.html

I bought a dozen helmets over the span of 5 or so months. Some comments from me and others are in the thread above.

SPIN, MIPS, Wavecell- they all attempt to do the same thing. And because there is so much variability in your head hitting the ground(angle, speed, point of impact, etc) that means there isnt a clear tech that is better than the others.
That tech is only good for 1 type of impact, and its been theorized on forums that having hair and/or a cycling cap does the same thing as those techs.

I ended up keeping the Abus Stormchaser and MET Rivale MIPS.
- The Abus Stormchaser is crazy light. Like really light. The straps easily disconnect for cleaning, the fixed straps lay flat, it is vented enough for me, and glasses stay put when stored and looking down. Padding is mininmal, but I dont notice that in use as I wear a cycling cap with it.
- The MET Rivale is really nicely finished and easy to use(some helmets are fiddly to put on). It has MIPS, its well vented, and padding is good for comfort without a cap. The straps lay flat which is key, and glasses stay put when stored and looking down. The chin strap is meant to easily loosen/tighten so you give a quick tug each time you put it on, which is different from most helmets, but I like it. The extra length of strap is contained well with a band.

These were both ordered from Europe and shipped to me, so its good that I happened to like them the most since returning wouldnt have been the easiest/cheapest. I really wanted to like the POC Ventral Air SPIN because of the quality, but I am between sizes and the larger size made me look like Toad from Mario.
One to consider- Giro implements MIPS into a couple of their helmets not by adding a liner, but by building it into the shell. Giro Aether Spherical for example is really nice. I bought one to try out for fitting and the strap just wasnt long enough. The helmet itself was fantastic. Something to consider- the tech being built into the helmet is really slick.