View Single Post
Old 06-14-22, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I was certain I was going to fly off the road bike last Sunday but didn't. My front wheel got caught by a very difficult to see pothole as I was going about 20 mph and I was actually slightly off the saddle when my front wheel got turned just enough to throw me forward. My right hand actually slipped down the front of the handlebars and I found myself in a position I honestly cannot recall ever having been in before, my right chest actually touching the handlebars while the inside of my right leg was getting abraded by the font tire (inner lower thigh). Somehow, I managed to get the balance back with just my left hand on the left hood and both of my feet on the pedals (platforms, btw). I have no idea how I did that and couldn't have done any of this consciously thinking it through, It was sheer muscle memory. All of this happened in the space of about 2 seconds, and it ended with me somehow flopping back onto my seat with the handlebars pointing straight ahead, and me with a small black tire mark on my inner thigh.

Muscle memory kept me upright on the bike. I'm pretty sure I would have had a far worse outcome if I'd been focusing it on how to land. What we're doing on a bike has no resemblance to judo, no idea why my muscles would learn anything applicable to cycling doing judo.
Likes For livedarklions: