View Single Post
Old 01-17-22, 09:26 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
SLJ Front Cable Clamping

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
So, what was the usual cable routing for an SLJ with the clamp on the front? From the down-tube clamp guide in front of the seat tube, or around the back? Seems like either way is a little bit awkward.... (sorry, my PX-10 is completely apart- I suppose maybe the routing becomes obvious when things are put together...)
Not quite the same as the SLJ FDs but these Simplex LJA200 front derailleurs had the same basic design. They were used on some Peugeot PX-10s from about 1972-73 to 1974-75. They worked pretty well, far better than the old Simplex push rod style FDs.

The cable and cable housing wrapped around the back of the seat tube and up into the hole in the hinge.

My 1980 Bertin C37bis came with a front cable SLJ FD. The factory kludged together the shift cable with some kind of plastic tubing and ran it behind the seat tube the same way. Problem was the bike had brazed on Campy style cable guides on the BB shell.

I lucked out and found someone who had a rear pull and needed a front pull.... Notice how I had to put a nut on the clamp screw because the threads in the arm were stripped out.

BTW. a lot of the later Simplex mid range front and rear derailleurs are a lot more robust. They weigh a few grams more but they last a lot longer.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg: