View Single Post
Old 08-17-22, 09:38 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I didn't read it closely enough to realize he had 10sp shifters and 10sp rear derailleur. The solution is simple then. Put a 10sp cassette on the rear. The only issue is that earlier hubs can only take 9 of 10 cogs, in which case you leave one off along with its spacer. Use a 10sp chain with it. Don't mess with alternate routing methods or Shiftmates.

If the OP were to buy anything he should just get a 10sp cassette of his choosing. Ultegra is about $75 at Universal Cycle, 105 around $50. You can shop around and get cheaper too I'd imagine. I believe MTB cassettes are compatible too. MTB Dynasys 10sp shifters and derailleurs are NOT compatible though and basically only work with each other.

All the Ultegra cassettes go up one tooth 11 through 15 and then 2 after that. So 11-12-13-14-15-17-19... Drop the 14 and you won't even notice the gap. All of the cassettes have different groupings of cogs though, you may be able to drop the largest or smallest, or maybe not. I vaguely recall I dropped the smallest cog on an HG62, or was it the largest? I don't remember. I bought a 10sp hub ultimately and put it back. It worked just fine as 9 of 10 but I wanted a matching hub to the front dynamo hub.
The OP currently has 8 speeds. A 10 speed cassette will fit the hub without modification.