Old 11-26-22, 11:16 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus907efi
I have been over the past day or two compiling a list of the serial numbers off of various Vitus 979 and Carbone frames I have in my direct possession here or ones I have found via ebay.
I thought this might provide some insight into any serial number coding vis-a-vis production dates.
But so far based on the list of 19 serial numbers along with bike or frame pictures I do not see any rhyme or reason to the numbering.
I have discovered that there seems to be a pattern of a leading single letter of either E, F, A, or I followed by 6 numerals. Then on some of the Carbone frames underneath this on a separate line there might be an additional code of "SC"
BTW, these are all stamped into a leading edge of the under side of the bottom bracket lug next to the cable guide.

Is anyone else interested in either adding their serial number to my list or seeing said list?
Yes!! And I should be able to get 4 or 5 more numbers for you from the Cambridge Vitus Club. These are the four charter members, plus we have a spare frame or two.