Old 11-28-22, 01:51 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus907efi
The serial number on this Carbone 9 bike on ebay totally breaks the normal Vitus serial number pattern:
Even the font used to stamp these numbers looks different to me.

Thoughts?

It can be found on ebay at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403891748821
Perhaps the carbone frames went later than the aluminum version, and got different serial numbers when they did. I think this is the case - didn't they abandon the 979 duralinox for the new, flashy 992 at some point in the early '90s? But maybe they kept going with the carbon 979 because it worked and they didn't have capital for R&D of a new carbon platform at that time? Just speculating here.

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
From this thread, it looks like there is a Neuf Sept Neuf club.
That's my doing. I've been evangelizing the 979 since I got my first one in 2016. I have a sort of loosely-organized club in Cambridge MA. Possibly not for too much longer, as our core group may disperse in the coming months. But if we all wanted to band together and form an internet Vitus club, with some sort of website like the (unfortunately now possibly gone) Vintage Trek website, we would all be amenable to that.