View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 09:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
^ This.
Where are you all selling your stuff online? I've pretty much given-up on eBay as the seller fees keep going up-and-up. It's getting to the point where I just about have to pay someone to buy parts on eBay!
I have been selling on eBay for over 20 years. I have not seen fees go up and up in the last few years. I'd like to see some data and facts there. The last big change was when the final value fee was charged on shipping, not just the selling price of the item. But that was several years ago. And to defend eBay somewhat on that change, people were selling items for 99 cents and $20 shipping to avoid paying fees.

If there was another outlet that provides the access to a global market for less, I would be selling there as well. Meanwhile, eBay continues to be the outlet of choice.

I've stopped flipping, but I am selling more parts than ever. 2019 was my best year in that regard. 2020 is down as I am focusing on other activities instead. Its always been a hobby, not a job. I've fallen behind on listing.

I've maintained top rated plus seller status so get decent discount on postage, particularly on the small stuff.

Refurbishing bikes no longer has the return it used to have. If I pay $100 for a bike, put 4 to 6 hours into it along with $50 in consumables, I might get $150 for it. Meanwhile, if I choose wisely, the same bike might yield $400 in parts, and no consumables, and 1 hour of work instead of 4 to 6. Math is pretty obvious there. Anything BMX centric does very well, and some BMX capable parts came on MTBs and cruisers.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-05-20 at 09:35 PM.
Likes For wrk101: