IdahoSpud
Still Wheelies Motorcycle

Bikes: Masi, Novara, Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I’ll grant you no one knows for a certainty the long term risks of Covid vaccines. As Economists are want joke in the long term we’re all dead. So if we want absolute certaint, we could study mRNA vaccines for 50 years and report back. However, millions of people would die in the interim.

What we do know for a certainty is that 1 in 600 Americans have already died, trillions of dollars, in economicloss has occurred Doingg nothing these numbers will multiplied a number of times over.

On the other hand, we also know, about 200 years of using vaccines, and the actual studies of these vaccines strongly suggest any risk of these vaccines is deminimis compared to the risk of going unvaccinated.

It’s just ridiculous to cavil about some theoretical long term risk that might be 1 in a million many years from now, when millions are dying right now, tens of millions are losing jobs, hundreds of millions are suffering emotionally, and we actually have the a tool to reverse that.
I am not telling anyone to take - or not to take - a shot of mRNA vaccine. I am saying that *my* personal preference is to observe what happens to those who have opted to be vaccinated with it. I *will not* be coerced, shamed or frightened into any behavior, including this.

As I also pointed out, I am current on vaccinations that have completed actual clinical trials, so don't straw-man the actual point I that am making - which is that none of these vaccines have completed trials for safety and efficacy among the general population. There are reasons for clinical trials, and I hope it's understood what those reasons are.

Another straw-man argument is the notion that we need to wait for "absolute certainty" and "studying mRNA vaccines for 50 years" before deploying be them. I'd consider successful completion of clinical trials to be *the* legitimate yardstick for a new vaccine, and nothing less. Those should be completed in 2024, if I recall correctly.

I reserve the right to protect my health as I see fit, and cast no judgements on how others protect (or don't) theirs. Again, anyone telling you that a brand-new (not 200 years old) vaccination method is long-term safe is lying. They. Don't. Know. They are making an assumption.

There have been some rather unpleasant historical vaccine incidents, many of which have been memory-holed.

The most recent incident is the clotting issue with the AstraZeneca Covid vaccine, which prompted several nations to abandon it. Please note that this is an immediate, not a long-term medical complication. Again, nobody *knows* if there are other, long-term issues with any of these vaccines.

Here is a long-term medical complication caused by a vaccine that was also rushed out the door and foisted on the public. The NIH should be a reputable enough source of information.

Then there was the Cutter Incident, another hasty vaccination ramp-up, in which 120,000 children were accidentally given vaccine containing live virulent poliovirus.

I probably don't need to remind about the 1976 swine flu debacle and the vaccine that caused many cases of what is now recognized as Guillaume-Barre syndrome.

Actually, just go to the CDC website here and they have a comprehensive list of various oopsies with vaccines over the years - many of which are quite recent.

If anyone feels like taking the plunge with a vaccine that hasn't been through trials, they can go right ahead. I would not pass judgement, and I fully understand their desire to get back to normal.

Realistically though, we should be prepared to acknowledge that the world and society have changed in significant and unfathomable ways that we don't yet comprehend, and there may not be such a thing as "back to normal".

Lastly, I refuse to take anyone's word that a vaccine which has been granted emergency use authorization is safe. One of these approved vaccines has already been pulled - thus proving my point that nobody knows whether they are safe or not - even in the short-term.

Last edited by IdahoSpud; 03-20-21 at 04:17 AM.
Likes For IdahoSpud: