Old 11-05-21, 01:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
That's a fair point. I don't use Zwift myself, but my understanding is that its modeling is pretty thorough, and even accounts for stuff like drafting effects when you're racing in a bunch. So yeah, this could vary from one app to another, but I'd be surprised if any app that's attempting to be realistic wouldn't include this in its model.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's interesting and has got me thinking. Obviously the physics of accurate slope simulation absolutely does need to take your weight into account. A 10% slope for a 50 kg rider is not the same physical resistance as a 10% slope for a 100 kg rider. I've always presumed Zwift etc make that background calculation and then send the appropriate resistance request to the trainer, but maybe they don't? Easy enough to check though by varying your weight massively in Zwift and seeing if a slope feels easier or harder (rather than just faster or slower avatar).
ok, do i got to thinking and had a little look at the FE-C spec and my code once again. rider weight and bike weight *are* sent to the trainer. i just didn't remember correctly. other things that can be specified are road quality, wind resistance, and wind speed. i apparently am even sending down the weights but using the defaults for all that other stuff.

so i have to apologize for my error here. my short term memory is clearly not very good. i did recently get hit by a car on my ride this past tuesday...can i use that as an excuse?