View Single Post
Old 11-07-21, 09:26 PM
Airfehr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Assuming the OP has found the leak, which probably was caused by a small piece of road wire, there is no reason to replace it. A quality patch system, like Rema TipTop, will give a permanent fix. Why contribute to filling our limited landfills?

Do you really think that a pressurized tube can move within a tire? I consider Jobst Brandt to be the final word on most things related to bikes. He claims that talc is of no benefit and may actually cause air to be released more quickly from the tire in the case of a puncture.

The OP said this keeps happening. Sounded to me as unsure if this fix will do the trick. For me personally, if I think a tube is suspect then I replace it. Tubes do get old. I have a couple things I reuse old tubes for. Rubber bands being one. Others go straight to the dump.

Yes the tube does move inside the tire with the greatest movement during first inflation. What do you think happens as you roll over bumps and the tire flexes. Not so much for a 23mm tire but a lot on a 4" plus tire. I have been doing it for years for all things two wheeled and will continue to do so. The larger the tire the greater the benefit. I disagree with the link completely for fat tires. There is a lot of tube surface area on a 4" tire. I have see the benefit first hand dual sporting small dirt bikes and getting or not getting friction flats. I'm not saying a bicycle will generate enough heat to cause a friction flat. But you are more likely to pinch flat if the tube is not evenly tensioned or worse still has a crease inside the tire. Reducing the rubber to rubber friction between the tire and tube is a good thing in my book. Rides better too at low tire pressure.