Old 06-08-20, 12:36 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
"As a pedestrian how do you want to know when being passed?"

Um... Ask this question in a walkers forum, not a cyclist's forum.

From first-hand experience, shouting "on your left," about half the time, makes the walkers move to their left because that's the word they hear. Ringing a bell or shouting "bike" or anything like that, there's an equal chance they will move right as there is that they will move left. So i've stopped alerting them. I'll give a wide berth around them, given room, and if not i'll slow down to their speed and pass closer. If they're blocking the path completely, i'll just roll up behind them and wait for them to notice. Suddenly realizing there are bikes behind them is usually enough to startle them and get them thinking that they might want to shoulder-check from time to time in future.

Usually the only issue is when you have a family of 4 people all walking abreast, talking, and completely oblivious to others using the trail. That's when they'll make disparaging comments about cyclists on "their" path when they finally notice you're waiting behind them.