View Single Post
Old 03-18-21, 04:15 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I'm also fairly certain that before the time of ABS, motorcycle rides ended far more frequently in fiery crashes than they did after ABS. Two wheeled vehicles tolerate loss of front wheel traction pretty badly so even an experienced rider could easily go down in the event of a front wheel slip. Also ABS allows for one to steer while going for maximum braking which is a definite safety improvement.
Do you even ride a motorcycle? Sorry, your post is filled with the most horrific hyperbole related to motorcycle crashes I have ever seen, and absolutely not even close to being grounded in reality. There is an incredible amount of traction on the front when braking. As for experienced riders go, part of being experienced, is knowing how to brake to the threshold of traction. It is something you need to practice. I am not a huge fan of stunt riding, but I appreciate the talent of those who do, and all you need to do is see one do a stoppie in wet conditions to know that what you are saying is absolutely incorrect.

The rear tire is where you lose traction upon braking, since the weight is transferred forward as you brake, causing the rear to get light. That is why you don't stop the rear brake, you use the front, and the rear, but you must properly modulate the rear, or it can lock up. Not difficult if you actually learn to ride.

For me, I have well over 200,000 miles on bikes, I have lost track really, and it is probably nearer 300,000 miles, not including racing. I do not have a bike with ABS, and purposely bought my sport touring bike without it. I have yet to go down in a fiery crash, if I do, I can guarantee it wasn't the brake's fault, or the lack of traction on the front tire. It was me, or some moron running into me.

Last edited by phughes; 03-18-21 at 04:20 PM.