Old 06-07-21, 10:15 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It's not "obviously impossible" to fix a flat on the side of the road without a tube, and in fact, using a plug may be easier...it depends on the nature of the damage, whether the tire is actually flat, or whether there is any sealant.

But yeah, tubeless introduces a whole new host of variables, and it's hard to know which you're going to have in play at any given time. Some combos set up easily, some don't; some issues are easy to fix, some aren't; sometimes you need a lot of tools, sometimes you don't.

It's unwise to enter into tubeless thinking it's easier, because it ain't. I think that with the lastest innertube tech, such as Aerothan and Tubolito, the case for tubeless has become less compelling. Schwalbe's Aerothan, for example, provides lower weight, improved rolling resistance, and higher puncture resistance than conventional butyl tubes. leaving tubeless' only trump card the self-healing thing.

I've got two old American Classic Argent tubeless wheelsets which work a charm with Schwalbe One and Hutchinson Galactik tubeless tires; super easy to get on/of, and they seal up great with AC valves, and Stan's 21mm tape. I've had good luck with Bontrager sealant and am on Panaracer SealSmart this season...so far with good luck.

I have another wheelset, Spinergy GX wrapped in Herse Bon Jon Extralights, which is proving to be a nightmare to set up. I have a pair of Aerothan tubes on hand that I'm about to throw in there if my next round of sealing effort doesn't work. Granted, I didn't have the right size tape this last go-round, so I kinda hacked it by doing two, offset wraps, but needing to keep a bunch of different rim tape on hand for all my various tubeless wheelsets-- five, currently-- is part of the frustration.
I def didn’t CHOOSE tubeless…it just so happened to come with the bike. Safe to assume that a tubeless tire can only be seated with CO2 during a roadside flat? When I put sealant in at the house….I slowly/easily rolled the bike across the room to spread the sealant(per a video I saw)…and even that easy rolling broke the beads. I don’t want would assume that the beads would def break during a flat while riding….and I can’t imagine trying to plug etc a tubeless and reinflate without CO2(which I don’t have).

if when I upgrade the tires…I’ll def be considering a tubed tire over the tubeless. Am I correct in thinking that I can simply add tubes the Fonda tires and no longer run them tubeless?