View Single Post
Old 09-14-21, 08:22 AM
cszipper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I would like to know more about industrial chains that are compatible with bicycles, 1/2 x 1/8 and 1/2 x 3/32.
I am not aware of any industrial chain with a 3/32" width. If I remember right 1/8" bike chain is equivalent to #65 roller chain. The bearing supply place local to me stocks it, and I just ask them for bicycle chain. Haven't bought any for a while, so I don't remember their pricing except that I thought it wasreasonable. Garage door openers use a 10' or so length of this chain, and, since the door only cycles a couple times a day, the chain doesn't see much wear. My neighbor had his opener replaced 5 years ago and I got the chain. It was functionally new, and I'm still using it up.

The big difference between an industrial roller chain and a bicycle chain is the presence of a hardened steel bushing connecting the side plates of the skinny link of the chain. The rollers and the pins wear against this bushing. This makes for a durable chain that is not very flexible laterally, which causes problems for modern derailleur setups. As a consequence most (all?) modern bike chains, including 1/8" for some reason, are manufactured without the bushings. If your three speed has its original chain it will be a bushed roller chain.

-Carl