View Single Post
Old 06-27-22, 07:51 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
This is why I rarely visit this site anymore. Eventually you're going to get insulted by somebody if you ask a question. And it hardly matters what you ask. Don't presume to know me. I've restored, from the frame up, many dozens of vintage bikes, none that were cheap enough to have axle nuts. I've flipped more than two dozen in the last two years alone. All of them quality. I was trying to help a woman with a particular price point (which I run into all the time - people thinking a good bike should cost what most of us would pay for a saddle) and got a little carried away and found four for her to choose from. No matter, I will make four women happy with these cleaned and tuned finds. And I've got plenty of bike-specific tools, calipers, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
So you’re trying to make a profit in a field you aren’t knowledgeable in and don’t want to invest in time or proper tools?
Originally Posted by jccaclimber

There are plenty of ways to measure fasteners. You can use calipers for the diameter and pitch. You can use a thread gauge for the pitch, get close with a ruler, and make some reasonable assumptions to get the rest of the way there. You can compare to known part either from your stock or at a local store, either hardware or bicycle. A local bicycle co-op would likely also have the parts for even less, albeit used. As to if they allow work for profit (even minor) depends on the outfit.

High odds that it’s metric unless British of a certain age. Once you’ve narrowed to that you can probably get close enough on axle diameter with nothing more than a ruler. Easier if the ruler reads in mm, though estimating to the nearest 1/64” and doing some math will get you there too.

I make no claims as to what the old French bike is, even once you have a unit system figured out, though the “see what fits” solution will probably work. I’d try that at a shop though, at least where I am the local hardware store selection of metric fasteners is rather limited to put it politely.

Edit, those are older than I was thinking when I read your country of origin comment. “Test for fit” is probably going to be fastest unless you want to get a thread pitch gauge. The good news is that a cheap one is $10 on Amazon and will last a lifetime of home use.