Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
This is a pretty slippery slope you're venturing out on, lol
Most of us carry the basics; flat repair, the "usual suspects" 4, 5, 6mm hex keys for simple adjustments/ repairs. I carry a mini chain tool and an extra quick-link in case I smash an RD and have to field-rig a single-speed to get home (particularly on the MTB and century rides)

There are some here who won't leave home without the capability to do shop-level repairs like pulling cranks and trueing wheels, but all you need is one forward gear, and one good brake to make it home to where the rest of the "good tools" are.
Agreed, plus different people have different needs or desires (especially since this subforum can include road, mountain, gravel, etc.). In the day of smart phones and ride share apps, a strong argument can be made that a phone is all you really need unless you ride where there's no coverage. Others insist on being able to repair absolutely anything so that they don't ever have to cut a ride short. I can't remember the last time I actually needed my multitool, but it's nice to have it with me in case I want to adjust something (seat height, handlebar tilt, etc.). Flats happen, so I always have stuff to address that (different provisions are needed for clinchers vs tubeless vs tubulars).