View Single Post
Old 05-11-21, 11:37 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Have you guys got any references for these WILD claims?
Seriously.

Being too high will cause you to rock and you will know quite quickly that your uncomfortable at that height. No injuries though. Seriously. What can you injure from being too high?
Being too low will cause you to grind on the cranks and put too much stress on your knees. The risks are well known.

I think his cranks are too long and this is the source of his problems. Adjusting the seat height probably won't fix his problems however I want to see his seat height up in order to confirm that his closed up leg angles aren't simply from a low saddle height.
There is a lot of truth in that. I went with shorter cranks as well. I had to lower the seat height, so the shorter cranks helped up top so my hips didn't close up too much.I was reaching at the bottom, but my hips were fine up top with the original cranks. Lowering the saddle helped at the bottom, but the shorter cranks felt better with the lower seat height. As far as seat height goes though, dropping to one side is a big indicator of a too high seat height, that coupled with the fact he is pedaling toes down pretty much cinches it.

As for a too high of a seat height not causing injuries, baloney, dropping to one side as he does is horrible on the hips, and lower back. Your body will accommodate a slightly lower saddle, more readily than a too high seat height. Once you make a change though, you shouldn't just mash away, you need tome to adjust to the position, though honestly, if you follow Steve Hogg's method of setting seat height, when you are done, you will spin more efficiently, and should be more comfortable all the way around.