Old 07-09-20, 04:46 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
There was recently a post regarding daytime running lights which included objections to blinking lights. The OP of that thread was actually asking about motivation so I think it best to post this in a new, separate thread.

To make this useful, I'd suggest the scope be limited daylight operation on roads and streets.

I use blinking lights during the day on the road to increase my conspicuity to motor vehicles. However, there was a comment that it can trigger seizures. I don't want anyone to get hurt on my trip. Another comment was that flashing bicycle lights are not permitted in Germany..............................​​​​.............................So the research I've done so far has not dissuaded me from using flashing front and rear lights during the day to increase my conspicuity. However, I recognize that there are a lot of things I don't know so opening up this thread.
Thanks OP and I will continue to use the blinking lights Day and Night because my primary concern is for MYSELF AND MY SAFETY. Guess that's being a bit SELF ABSORBED and an ALL ABOUT ME but when I am driving I know my limitations and consciously avoid instances that will affect my safety and that of others.

Originally Posted by 63rickert
.............................Ride at night? Forget it, can’t do that any more. You have taken all that away from me. Flashing lights make us all less safe. The sort of ego that transforms these bludgeon lighting devices into “safety” is incomprehensible.
Nobody took anything away from you. It is your choice to not ride at night as it is my choice TO CONTINUE to ride at night. I will be on the road tonight to begin my 70th birthday 141 mile Birthday Bicycle Ride. Since tomorrow's sunshine and humidity will bring up the overnight 80F temps up to an INDEX feeling of 105F+ the majority of my ride will be under the stars.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 07-09-20 at 05:01 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy: