MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Lol, you're a youngster. At some point as you age, your body will not accept all your choices. Then you either have to decide to limit your activities or assist your body. It'll be interesting what you decide to do when you actually get to that point and it's not just a mental exercise. By all means, hold it off as long as you can, but I guarantee you at some point your body is going to say "no" and you'll have to decide whether to listen or find workarounds.
This is what happened to me at age 60. I crashed on one of my road bikes in 1996 and fractured my left hip and had it nailed together. 24 years later, I now have traumatic osteoarthritis and a bone spur in the hip such that I can no longer abduct my legs enough to mount my road, MTB or motorcycle. I am planning on a left hip replacement next year. So that I can continue to ride in the mean time, two months ago I bought a Tern HSD S8i for $ 4100 out the door. With the low step-through height, I can easily mount and dismount, I can choose to use the electric assist or not, I can use it for grocery shopping, and it is kind of fun on the steep hills here in the Cascade foothills. Ideally after the total hip, I will be able to get back on my road and MTB.
Likes For MillCreek: