View Single Post
Old 06-11-21, 12:26 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by miskines
Here's the background. I am an adult but I always rode hand offs from a friend that is a serious racer and bike enthusiast. He would pass really nice bikes my way and I'd ride them. His son is getting older and recently asked for them back (after years of long term lending). I had an old entry level GT Timberline MTB I bought at police auction 10 years ago that I never used and decided to covert it to a big tire urban commuter and just by luck I garbage picked a rather nice Takara Prestige entry to mid level road bike from the mid 80's. I got the bug! I've been riding way more and shopping for parts way more. It started with the basics to get the bike rideable, new tires, pedals, grips but now I find myself upgrading the Takara Prestige with better vintage parts like downtube shifters, Stelle Turbo saddle, Did Comp Aero Gran Comp brake levers, and SR 150 peddles. Today I made impulse purchase of a Carver 440mm suspension correct straight rigid fork for the GT just because I like the look of it! Now I need a new headset and neck! Well I love it but I think I've spent $500 on two old and nothing special bikes. Anyone have a good story?
I overspend. I could save up and get a new bicycle that's awesome, however I choose to get old, and what consider, junky bikes and fix them up. I like wrenching, and its therapy for me. It gets me out of my head and though, I get frustrated at times, it's worth it for me to something that was old and useless being turned into something rejuvenated and functioning again.
Likes For grizzly907la: