Old 07-26-21, 05:32 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
Big fan of the retul fits. That's what my fitter uses. In addition to the using the data from the retul fit to identify opportunities for improvement, he essentially refused to use the shims everyone else used to try and "fix" my issues. He couldn't find any obvious leg length discrepancy or any thing similar, so we spent the better part of half a day working through possible causes. He then referred my to a PT to try and fix it rather than just throw hardware at it. Long way of saying, ask any potential fitter about their problem solving methodology. If you see a bunch of shims lying around, run as fast as you can.
I don't think shims are necessarily harmful, but depends on the actual issue. They're probably overused significantly where insoles for collapsing arches would likely be a better option. But yeah, a tool that's good at collecting data is useless if you don't really know what to do with said data or how to use it.

That's one of the things I've been thinking of trying actually. Removing all the shims under my cleats and just seeing what happens with higher insoles.