Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary12000
I have a friend in the UK that has done Tuscany and Britannia and he said they were very well organized and well ran.
I have done Eroica's in Gaiole, Brittania, Hispania as well as every pre-covid Eroica California. Even at its best (under Wesley) the California event is not run nearly as well as those European locations. I attribute it to a lack of support from the corporate ownership, which reflects their belief in the location. EC probably has the smallest turnout of any of the Eroica events and so gets the minimal amount of support ($$$) to operate with. This lack of support leads to all of the deficiencies previously noted about the event. But being a smaller event has it's charms as well. Can you imagine an Eroica California with 7000 or 8000 riders? That is what they can get in Gaiole and Brittania!

I don't believe that EC will survive as an event for much longer. There does not seem to be enough enthusiasm for it from the ownership for it's value as a marketing tool. Once the cost/benefit ratio is lost the event will be no more. On the other hand an event like Cino has a whole different reason for being. It is more a labor of love. Cino won't last forever either but as long as it does it will likely remain a fun and intimate gathering.