View Single Post
Old 10-02-15, 03:35 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Because the vehicle has various desirable features other than the potential to tow a load.
That's just a fancy way of saying, "because they want to." If desire was a sufficient reason to do anything, then nothing anyone ever wanted to do or have would be unreasonable.

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
TP you are going way out on a limb on this one. The manufacturer will charge for everything extra over a bare bones car. Bikes do the same. Add a sun roof or a built in bike rack or a trailer hitch and you will get charged for it.

Chrysler used to charge extra for the car radio as an option. They got hammered for it and so they made them standard, and tacked the price on at the base price. That is just how it works.
That's another good example of something the comes standard not everyone needs or wants.

No one would be happy to pay for a bike rack that 99 percent of the owners would never use. It would be like making a car free person buy an oil recovery pan in case they ever helped someone change their oil.
An oil pan has no use on a bike whereas a bike does have utility used in tandem with a car.

Originally Posted by Machka
Incidentally, you'd also have to change the law regarding bicycle racks on vehicles.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-number-plates

Among other things ...

You can be fined if:

• the rack is not removed when the vehicle is being driven without a bike being carried.
You didn't read the post where I said that poles could extend and retract from the roof of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Walter S
Why not?
I told you. Because it puts me in the awkward position of retracting my position in order to avoid offending you personally regarding your mother.

The reason unnecessary items are included for everybody is economy of scale. If nearly everybody needs or wants an item it will often be more economical to include it for everyone rather than tool up to make it optional and deal with the impact in terms of administrative overhead, assembly procedures, etc. It's not up to you to tell the world what should be standard on an automobile. Auto makers have been making those decisions for years and years and have all that worked out pretty well including various factors of which you are probably not even aware.
Debating who should or shouldn't have decision-making authority is useless. Anyone can voice any opinion, thought, or idea and any decision maker is free to reason that the idea is good or bad and employ it if it's good. The only reason people resist adopting good ideas, as far as I can tell, is because they get caught up in personal rebellion against others purely because they don't like hearing suggestions. It's like some people can't get enough autonomy so they keep fighting and fighting to silence others so they can make decisions in a vacuum.

All I'm saying is that it would be a good idea to build bike racks into car/truck frames because the roof/chassis already has structural longitudinal beams that would function as the base for poles that could extend and retract from the roof. That way, instead of having to mount and dismount a bike rack on a trailer hitch or from a luggage rack, etc., the bike rack would only consist of straight poles that extend directly from the body frame. Manufacturers could build these things into all roof frames and then just bury some of them under the roof panel and charge extra to have them accessible for people who don't want to cut holes in their cars' roofs to gain access to the bike rack built into the frame.