View Single Post
Old 11-20-15, 12:15 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I was told about an orchard job, and rocked up on my bike. I didn't have a car. I met the farm manager, had a chat, and he asked me to start the following Monday. My means of transport to and from work wasn't an issue... there was accommodation on the property! Free!

I stayed there for a couple of years until I left to visit Canada for six months. I got my old job back when I returned, but arrange to live elsewhere, still commuting by bike every day, because I was still free of car ownership.

My only means of transport was bike, or public transport, when I worked in a professional cycling advocacy position. And I commuted by bike when I ran my small bike tours business. And the newspaper where I worked as a sub-editor when I first took up cycling after my car was towed away from home, didn't care how I got to and from work, just so long as I turned up on time each afternoon.

My current job is in orchards again, but I live quite a distance away, and the terrain is very hilly, enough so that I am not confident at this stage of commuting and working a full, physical day of labour without something breaking. So I use motorised transport.

The commute is, however, partly car-free -- I am a walk-on passenger on a ferry that takes me to and from the island where my work is located. In total, from door to door, my commute is around 50 minutes (the ferry trip is 20 minutes of that), and cycling would add at least another 20 minutes each way.