Old 07-14-20, 10:54 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
Feels like no one mentioned the primary reason for riding Speedplay: frictionless float. The rotational friction is so low, it almost feels like standing on ice. For some people this is disconcerting and weird. For others nothing else is comfortable (I'm one of these). Look and Shimano equivalents have some float yes, but high friction - you set the angle you want, and friction holds it there until you clip out.

This is apart from quantity of float - original X-series Speedplays have huge amounts, later ones can be limited with grub screws, and Look-style cleats have various amounts depending on shape. No, this is about the quality of the float.

If the OP has no idea which they prefer, it's too soon to decide which system is best for them. Gotta put some miles in to find out.

as for the original question about crash release, I have no concerns about any common clipless systems. I've popped out of Speedplays, Looks, and SPDs in crashes, and all were adjusted for the right amount of tension that I never popped in sprints. They all work.
Not sure where you get the idea that “Look and Shimano equivalents have some float yes, but high friction - you set the angle you want, and friction holds it there until you clip out.” I’ve been using Shimano SPD-SL yellow cleats (6 degree float, IIRC) for years, and there’s nothing stopping my feet using that float - friction or otherwise. Nor was there an issue with the several sets of Looks before that. Speedplays might be like standing on ice, but what’s the advantage of that? It sounds like an academic advantage, because SPD-SLs float fine, if not icily, but since I’m not a penguin, I don’t need ice.