burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is why the WAM/RAM specs should be pushed. Pirelli is doing it on their new tires and ENVE at least has the WAM; I hope that others follow suit. For now, Schwalbe has at least said that their new tires should measure out to their nominal with a 19mm int width rim, so it gives you a decent idea of a starting point, while Conti has been more vague, simply saying that they're sized with "modern width" rims in mind.
Agreed. The bulging out and internal widths versus external at different pressures matters for some people. It's way too much to think about for most.......but when you're spending $1k for possibly ONE front wheel for time trial or triathlon.........you don't want to ruin the entire point of that purchase by purchasing a tire and size that doesn't work.

I think at slower speeds the gains in CRR of a larger tire on some aero wheels might work out fine. But the aero losses of the bigger tire bulging out at higher speeds far outweigh the CRR gain. That's why Enve and others are designing wider aero wheels now. Play both games at the same time.

One thing I'm surprised hasn't come back from Conti or others is the concept of the "attack/force" aero tires. Their CRR wasn't great, but they tested out pretty good in some tire/wheel aero tests I've come across. I would love for them to release an "aero" version of the GP5000 TL. Even if not branded as such.