View Single Post
Old 08-31-20, 03:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I do a lot of riding early in the morning when it's dark, so aside from the front/rear lights I also have spoke lights and have put reflective tape at various locations on my bike. I have large strips of red reflective tape running up the back of both seat stays, a strip around each end of each seat stay, and a strip on each end of each chain stay. I put white reflective tape on the head tube, and a strip around the end of each side of the fork. I even put a strip of white tape on each crank arm. I also did all this for my gravel bike (minus the crank arm) even though I rarely (until recently) ride it at night.

On my helmet, I do have a red light on the rear, but I also added red reflective tape on the back and a large patch of white reflective tape on each side. On the back of my underseat bag, I put a large portion of red reflective tape on it to act as a nice big red reflector.

The tape I used for all this is the white/red tape strips used to mark trailers. I simply cut it with scissors for the desired size. It may be overkill but I have yet for any driver to act like they couldn't see me at night.

Prior to buying wheel lights, I cut 32 small strips of white reflective tape and taped them to the side of my wheels, 8 strips on each side. I think it was fairly effective but now with the wheel lights it's not really needed.