Old 09-15-20, 10:54 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I think you should be looking at the Pugsley, not the Wednesday. The Wednesday is a sportier trail bike. The Pugsley is more of a workhorse and should be easier to fit racks and stuff to. I think my Pug is the most versatile bike I own, depending on the wheels and setup it can be anything I want it to be.
Excellent point.

I have had my eye on an ECR for a few years now. When I can swing it that is my "dream build". The wheel sets are the magic to the versatility. The limitation on that bike, and the Pug, is the upper tire clearance. You can't put a fatter tire on than what you can squeeze between the fork and seat/chain stays. However, you can always go smaller.

I did email back and forth with Surly on the ECR idea and the one caution they threw my way with thinner tires is the overall rolling diameter of the wheels - if it is much smaller then pedal strike becomes more possible/probable when cornering. I am not sure how much of an issue that would be, in practice. However, it is good food for thought - not just on the ECR, but any bike which you may have varying wheels for varying purposes.

The "fat bikes" might not be a good option - they are overly specialized, in my view. That is where the OP's Troll and the ECR really excel - they are far more versatile. If you build them with lots of gears and disk brakes the wheel sets are where you get a ton of flexibility.

As far as riding position and handlebars - if you are off-road in ruts and soft ground I'd say a wider straight bar might be advantageous. That having been said, don't discount the ergonomics of butterfly, bull horn, trekking, and drop style bars. The hand positions can be a blessing, same goes for posture changes. You don't want narrow road bars, though with as much off-roading as will likely be encountered by the OP.