View Single Post
Old 05-10-21, 11:55 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Personally, I think that bikes make/made a ton of sense for personelle and logistics transport.
No need for gas (Japan had very limited oil supplies, which lead to the destructive use of the Mitsubishi Zeros as suicide planes) or fodder (again, limited resources).
Versatile, efficient, mostly silent.

Similar tactics were used by Vietcong decades later to good effect against one of the best militaries in the world.
Sure, you have to keep an open mind and a nominally low-level technology can defeat a high-level one. Finns effectively fought Russian tanks by pushing tree trunks into tank drivetrains. Dropped tin foil strips over Hamburg were rendering radar systems ineffective, etc.

The poles mounted along seat tubes in the Vietnam video are interesting, letting you walk the loaded bike without the need to lean down. Interestingly, you have hard time finding bikes these days in Vietnam. Those leftover from former times are ridden by elderly males. Walking loaded bicycles continues to be common, though, in Africa. On one hand, motorcycles are too expensive for many people. On the other, horses cannot survive in much of Africa because they get defeated by malaria. However, I do not recall a pole mounted along the seat tube there. At times the walked bicycle might be loaded high. However, otherwise, people uncomfortably lean down when walking a loaded bike.