Old 02-01-22, 12:06 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Aaaaaand another alcohol fuel for Trangia/Toaks/pop can stoves: alcohol fireplace fuel. It's ~100% ethanol (well, it's got to have a little something in it to denature it) and marketed for the new alcohol-fueled firepits and flue-less fireplaces. One brand of several:

I mentioned adaptors for using threaded Lindal canisters for aerosol butane stoves and other adapters for using aerosol butane canisters for fueling threaded Lindal canister stoves. In a 35' motorhome, sure, why not, bring 'em all, but cycletouring and pedaling every ounce up every hill, I think you could go overboard on the whole adapter business pretty quickly.

Direct attachment:

Remote canister:

If you're coming to the USA from Japan with your aerosol butane stove, one of these would let you fuel with a threaded Lindal canister of Iso-butane:

A cat over on a camp stove forum took an MSR Whisperlite Universal with its big pre-heat tube, drilled a custom jet, made liberal use of the priming-heat pan and claimed to have run the stove on pressured alcohol. Hmph! Anyway, you now know as much about that as I do.

So anyway, we're talking about fuel and flame and pressure so don't do anything based on what some yahoo on Bike Forums said. If you want to use an alternate fuel, study up on it and be safe. Blowing yourself up might ruin your bike tour!

Last edited by tcs; 02-01-22 at 04:22 PM.