View Single Post
Old 02-06-22, 09:45 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
My bike-boom era published-in-1972 Second Bicycle Two Wheel Travel Camping and Touring book recommends (remember, this is in 1972!) the 111B for group tours of four to six riders. For groups of two to three, they suggest the similar but much smaller and lighter Optimus 8R. For one or two, they recommend the Svea 123 with provisos on its sometimes cantankerous start-up: "This is the stove that drives men to butane."
Of the three I have only actually used the SVEA 123, but I never considered it cantankerous or particularly hard to start up. I always considered it about the most reliable stove I have used. The only time it is any trouble is when it is cold and even then it is better than many (most?) other stoves. Certainly butane stoves don't love cold weather either. In cold weather it did take a bit more effort to get started, but I never found it to be too difficult in the conditions where I used it. Maybe I never used it in really brutally cold conditions, but I have definitely used it in sub freezing temps to melt snow for water. One of it's larger cousins would probably have been better for that task, but it did the job. Sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate with spitting out some fuel to prime it. Instead of a lot of fooling around, some priming fuel in a little eye dropper bottle (or just an eye dropper to dip some fuel out of the tank) made cold weather starting a bit easier. Also some insulation under the stove is nice on snow or frozen ground. I always considered it a reliable, rock solid little stove That I could count on working every time.