View Single Post
Old 09-25-17, 08:27 AM
Scipunk

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Sports, 1964 Raleigh Sports (Canadian?), 1969 Triumph Ladies, 70's Columbia Sports III, 07 Diamondback Venom

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plympton
Attachment 582142

Attachment 582143

Attachment 582144Well back from Maine and since we have had 4 days of tropical storm weather on Cape Cod I started to take the Raleigh apart. I am calling it a 1952 (serial number no help) in honor of the owners name inscribed on the crank arm. I searched him on ancestry.com and he was born in 1952 which is consistent with the changes made to the bike in the 60's when he would have been about 12yo. There are a few nuts and bolts that are not period but over all everything looks right. Rookie mistake was buying the BikeHand tool kit. I didn't need a thing in it. I have just ordered two Park bottom bracket tools [can't get the BB off. I am concerned about a video I saw on removing the BB. I bent 2 pipe clamps (yes pipe clamps) trying to remove cotter. I finally used heat. Now the video shows a plastic race. If so it's probably NG now. I've tried three different paint strippers. The repaint came off easy. The factory paint not so much. Back to Maine today to winterize cabin back to bike next week.
Man i do love those full chainguards! I am watching this closely as i am going to be going through similar stuff with newer bikes (64, 69 and 73)

Is that the Yaheetech bike stand and if so how do you like it?