Old 01-31-22, 04:57 PM
blurcovenky

Bikes: 2006 Surly LHT / 2003 Look KG 461 / 1993 Novara Corsa / Trek 4300 / Handsome Devil / Cannondale ST 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I have a Handsome Devil and have studied the Cross Check's geometry because I was also interested in it.

Comparatively, the Devil has road bike angles (73 degree seat and head tube angles) and the Cross Check is a bit more relaxed (56cm has 72.5 degree seat tube and 72 degree head angle). Their fork rake amounts are only 1mm different but the different head angles give the Devil a trail measurement of 61mm and the Cross Check 69mm. All of these theoretically combine to give the Devil a slightly more nimble ride than the Cross Check. I've never ridden a Cross Check so I cannot confirm this.

The Devil has BB drop of 70mm and the Cross Check has 66mm. Not a big difference but theoretically, the Devil will feel a bit more stable in this dimension. The Devil's listed chainstay length is 43.6cm and the Cross Check is 42.5mm.....again, not a huge difference. The Devil's chainstays can be lengthened to 45.5cm by moving the rear wheel all the way back in the droput. I've ridden it both ways and the longer length seems to be a bit smoother ride and the shorter length is livelier.

The frame weights of the two are probably very similar. My 55cm Devil was listed at 5.06 lbs and my kitchen scale showed it at 4.8 lbs. The total bike, as I built it with a 3x9 drivetrain and heavy duty touring wheels and tires was 26.7 lbs.

The Devil is also available as a frameset and that is how I purchased mine. My preference is for a bike a bit more on the agile side of things and the Devil, with appropriate tires, is very run to ride that way.
I understand that this is a post from 7 years ago. Just for anyone finding this post while looking for comparison. Thanks to inputs from many experienced people on this page and the help of Jesse, the owner of handsome. I ended up buying the Handsome Devil. I bought the frame set and built the bike. I have only put a few miles on it but I can guarantee it's a pretty fine bike. Considering I own a few other bikes and and have a more than a few reference points. These bikes are value for money and really good. There are some really passionate people behind these bikes.
Likes For blurcovenky: