Old 02-05-22, 03:44 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
The Trek is far overpriced!

The problem today is supply, so a lot of bikes are not and will not be in stock for a while. Having said that I think you should compare a Masi Giramondo 700c to the Trek or the Surly, and you'll find out that the Masi is a great deal. The other issue with the Masi is finding a local or near local dealer. But I bought one just before Covid became the big supply chain killer, and been riding it for camping for the last 2 years and it's been a fantastic bike. The weak spot on the Masi is the seat is really cheap quality, and the tires are also cheap and thus very heavy at 1,200 grams a PIECE! You would think that tires that weigh that much would be long lasting and flat proof? NOPE! So, I replaced the tires with Schwalbe Amotion tires and saved about 600 grams a tire, of course I went from a 45c to a 38c but I'm good for camping and touring on that size of tire. But the rest of the bike has been bomb proof. Check out the specs and compare it to others.

Another excellent choice is the Kona Sutra bike, again a much better bike than the Trek. I was considering the Kona, but the Masi was cheaper and it offered a bit more of what I wanted on a touring bike.

Some people will find fault with mechanical disk brakes found on the Masi, but I didn't want to be hassling with hydro brakes while camping or touring, mechanical disk brakes are far easier to service in the field if needed.
Likes For rekmeyata: