View Single Post
Old 07-23-12, 09:22 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I just completed the STP (203 miles in two days).

I trained 7 months, rode about 1600 miles with the bulk in, May, June, early July and averaged 100-125 a week from May on. Rode 50 miles every saturday with all other rides 20+. When my Sautrday rides approached 15mph solo average ride time (not drafting) I knew I could likely average 13+ solo on the STP and my first day (14.2) and second day (12.2) pretty much nailed my target.

When I left the UW parking lot I forced myself to remind myself to ride my ride and ignore pace lines and solo riders that passed me. I also stopped at all rest stops. I had a very small bar bag that always had an energy bar or two that I could munch on as I rode. I made a couple mistakes....didn't drink enough. On a hydration post a FBer reccomends 750 ml of water an hour. That's a good start. I shouldve drunk 2 gallons in a 100 miles but I was half that. Also, 2nd day I got hot foot on my right foot (larger foot) and that forced me to stop ever hour and take shoes and socks off for 10 minutes which helped stop the nerve pain.

My Saturday rides should've been 70-80 miles, I would've been better prepared. My low gear was 39-26....a compact would've been so much easier but I never walked up a hill but if any hill had been much over 8%....ouch. Also, took ibuprofen in morning and at noon.

I'm 57, 192 lbs. (should be 170....) and..have gastric reflux disease and occasional heart arrhythmia. Bottom line, I did fine.

Last edited by Jseis; 07-23-12 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For Jseis: