Old 01-31-22, 11:26 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have no idea if they meet the OP's requirements, but I have thought of getting a B&M Ixon. They have one that will act as a usb charger for your other devices.

Also, the Outbound road light looks good. https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/road-edition.

If you are doing a multi-day ride like a 1200k, you are going to have to charge something. If the light lasts long enough on its own battery, it seems like charging it isn't any more onerous than charging a big usb charger battery pack. And for a single day ride, those two lights should suffice without charging. If you are doing a multi-day ride where no charging is available, then at some point a dyno makes a lot more sense than trying to manage the logistics of a battery light.
My ultra-distance experiences have mostly included motel stays. When unavailable, I have slept in post offices and restrooms. All have had AC outlets. So my mode of operation is to plan for daily charging, but with some wiggle room just in case. Also, even though I have 2 front lights, I need each of them alone, to have the ability to get me through the night. Overkill maybe, but in 2019 I was climbing Lolo pass in the rain in the dark night, early morning. My primary light (rechargeable) stopped working. Not a battery level issue. (Turned out it was a problem with the switch). So now I was down to one light. In the dark, in the rain, in bear country. (Didn't see a bear, but it makes the story better. ) It turned out all right, as my backup was a 250 lumen AA powered light and I had spare batteries.

For sure if I was camping, I would get a dynamo. Since my old back and neck object to such on a regular basis, I prefer to motel it. Of course, with fewer lighting options and figuring out additional external battery capacity, a dynamo is making more sense these days.