Old 04-08-22, 07:13 AM
Bent4life 

Bikes: Bachetta Ti Aero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I once rode cross the USA and it was 110-120F but very dry in the West. It wasn't bad other than the climbs. I just had to climb very slow because there is not much evaporation to cool you when climbing. When I got to Missouri or Misery as I like to call it, the temperatures were only in the low 100 range or even just high 90's but the humidity was off the charts. Not riding too hard in the heat of the day is one tactic that I learned and use to this day. For instance, let's say I have a 4 am start 400K on the East Coast of the USA in warmer months, I will ride harder until about 10 am and then really, really slow down until about 4 pm. If I am not riding very hard, most of the calories burned are fat. If it is very hot and humid, my body already has a hard job to dissipate heat. So, I mostly focus on hydration with just a little calories added in brutal conditions. Climbing and eating in the Malaysian hot/humid air is kind of a bad recipe. Try to experiment when to eat. I try to never eat before a big climb in hot weather to the extent that if a control is before the climb, I will carry the food and eat it at the top. Rather extreme. I have never puked but do get a lousy feeling, so, I prefer not to have a full belly starting a big climb. Don't know if any of that will help. GL

1) Be skinny
2) Keep the pace way down
3) Go really lean on food and heavier on water.
I made so many eating mistakes in my early rando days. Tried every liquid nutrition formula known to man. Drank way too many calories based on the recommendations ( 250-400 calories per hour) but could not manage that many calories. Did the gas station cuisine , gels, everything I could to figure out the formula. Did a whole lot of puking in those days. What works for others will not always work for you. It's an eating experiment until you figure out what works. Like you stated keep the pace way down, lean on food and heavy on water but I'm not at the be skinny part yet. I'm a 210 lb clydesdale. 200 and 300 K's I can run pretty good on a calorie deficit. Still trying to figure out a solid nutrition plan for 4,6 and 1200K. I'm thinking I should pound the heavy calories before sleep brakes or other extended times off the bike. I've had many instances where I vomit, feel like ****, drop out, can't even drink water or soda. After a long sleep brake with no calorie intake I wake up and can ride like nothing ever happened. Not sure what's going on with that.
Likes For Bent4life: